Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Enhancing, Loving, & Nurturing the Life of a Very Special Little Boy ~~ Benj


I was recently asked by Priscilla Gilman to write a book review on Amazon.com for her book entitled, "The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy". I was immensely honored to have been asked by Priscilla to do this. Today I posted this review on Amazon & want to share it with you all, as well. This is truly a remarkable & touching story & journey of a precious little boy that is remarkable in every way with some needs having to be met differently than others. Priscilla & Benj's story is a story of unconditional love for a child & uncompromising determination to give that child a beautiful life. I highly recommend this book as a fabulous heart-warming read.  Please read the review & enjoy. God Bless you all!!!  ~~Ang~~

Priscilla has truly written one of the most heart-warming & touching books that I have ever had the pleasure to read. Being the mother of a special needs child, I could immensely feel the emotions that Priscilla expressed in the book in regards to the admiration, devotion, fear, & love that she has for Benjamin (Benj). A parent of a special needs child works so very hard to get him/her to progress to their highest potential without pushing him/her too far to where it may be above what he/she can handle. Priscilla shows such determination & motivation to do everything possible to make Benj's life accessible for him in the ways that he can tolerate & handle in his world.

She expresses in words & through the use of William Wordsworth's beautiful poetry, the true love that she has for Benj & his younger brother, James. She expresses with true intensity the feelings that a parent experiences upon learning that his or her child has a diagnosis that may limit he or she in society. She expressed this feeling in words so well, that I could literally feel the pain again that I felt on the day that my youngest son was diagnosed as deaf in both ears. I also could relate very well with her when she spoke of how her marriage began to deteriorate. My marriage deteriorated as well. To hear her express the emotions of disapointment & the pain that goes along with a deteriorating marriage & to have a child that needs you both is a very familiar emotion to me & I could relate so well with her descriptions of the feelings that she was experiencing during that time.

Priscilla writes of Benj in such a way that I feel as if I have literally met this wonderful, little guy. He is such a remarkable, little boy in so many ways & Priscilla has done an excellent job in detailing the hurdles that he has overcome & the immense achievements that Benj has accomplished.

I can sympathize with Priscilla in the worry that she has experienced & will continue to experience to a degree, regarding Benj possibly being bullied or picked on by other children, as I have had those same worries myself for my son. However, so far, I have been fortunate, like Priscilla, to have had some of the kindest instructors, baby-sitters, & other people that are involved in my son's life. My son, Ryan, is typically adored by all that encounter him, just as Benj has been. Through reading about Benj & his wonderful personality, he has to be like sunshine brightening up a dark day.

Priscilla describes the incredible and remarkable lengths that she has gone through to make sure that Benj's world is accessible & easier for him to venture through. I truly believe that no other person could have done any better at this than she has at making sure that her wonderful son gets just as good of a chance at a fruitful life & education as any other child would. She is truly a very remarkable woman.

As the reader of the book, you too will experience the intense love & dedication that she has for Benj. I can relate very well with her on this point also. My ex-husband & I have taken every advantage & opportunity that we can to enhance Ryan's world with him now having bilateral cochlear implants. Speech therapy has to be very intensive with him to learn to speak appropriately & I can definately relate with Priscilla when she speaks of the appointments to various physicians, therapy, & other faculties to aid our children.

Upon first learning of my son's diagnosis of being deaf, I cried, as most parents would do. I even asked God why my son had to be born deaf & why my sweet baby had to go through life with this disability? However, one day my father said, "Why not your child? Why would it be anymore fair for anyone else's child to be born deaf than your child?" It awakened me & made me realize that what my father had said was so very true. A realization came ot me then that God gave me this beautiful boy that was deaf because he knew that I would do whatever it would take to give him the most productive & enjoyable of a life as my older son Ethan or, for that matter, a life that any loving parent would try to provide for their child. What I just described, is exactly what Priscilla has done for Benj. Priscilla has gone to great lengths to get Benj the resources that he needs to have the capabilities to soar high in his life. I was amazed everyday that I picked up this book & read of the extraordinary & creative ways that she developed to aid & teach Benj.

I encourage you all to buy this book and read this wonderful tale of maternal love for a very special little boy. It will touch you not only in your heart, but down to your soul. Priscilla, what an uplifting & motivating book you have written. Thank you for inviting us into your world to experience this true story of unexpected joy!.

~~Angela Plummer~~

No comments:

Post a Comment